Topic: No flingable devices were found.

Hi

I'm using macbook and i installed the app but i think i have connectivity issue, always say (No flingable devices were found.)

I have WDTV Live Hub and every thing else working fine, no connectivity issue at all.

i tried the web version and also it's saying (Unfortunately we found no Flingo-enabled devices in your network.)

i restart the WDHub and my Mac test connectivity and its working fine, open the flingo on my Hub working ok, but nothing in the queue and can't connect to it by any mean.

any help/suggestion?

thanks

Re: No flingable devices were found.

This is a recurring question, so I'd like some help in trying to figure it out.   

1. Check whether the WDTV and the Mac are on the same network.  Is one connected to the network via your neighbors open wireless connection? etc. etc.
2. Check whether they are behind the same NAT.  Fling prevents calls from going to anyone else's private network by checking whether the caller and the device reside behind the same public IP address.  This works pretty well in homes, but office environments may not place all devices behind the same public IP.   
3. If you are sure they are behind the same NAT and on the same network, then let's see whether the device is announcing.
  a. restart the device.
  b. start the flingo or "web videos" application.
  c. In a browser go to http://flingo.tv/fling/lookup
  d. Do any devices appear in the lookup?  If no then there is a deeper problem, and I would love to do some hand-holding to fiture it out.

--Dave

Hi dave,

thanks for your reply, Actually as you said, The issue will be in the NAT thing, As i dont using NAT and i have a public IP for each device in my home network smile but all from the same ISP and from the same subnet!
if private IPs are required, so i should reconfigure my home network for NATing which may be not good for some other service i use.
is there any way to make it work as it is?
by the way, the connection between my home device is 100% ok tested by many other service like home sharing and streaming.
thanks

It seems like a common enough problem that some solution should be put in place.  I'll have to think on how to do this.  It seems like any solution would have to be manual.  Potential solutions are:

• user enters a five or six character code on your laptop/mobile taken from the Flingo application settingsin the TV. Netflix uses an analogous approach;

• user enters a username and password in the TV and on the laptop/mobile;

• add a facebook integration, which has additional benefits, but as with the one above requires user to enter a username and password in the TV and in the laptop/mobile (if not already logged into facebook);

• put a setting in the TV that allows the user to broaden its visibility to the network by specifying a how many leading bits must match in the IP address (a la CIDR prefix). This has the advantage of allowing the user to change a single number in the TV until the TV becomes visible to fling, but it has the drawback of making the TV potentially visible to others outside the user's private network and I wonder how many people would understand what is going on; or

• show a QR code or other 2d "barcode" on the settings page. User takes a picture of the QR code using his smart phone.  Unfortunately this is only applicable to smart phones.

I haven't thought of any better solutions.  Any ideas?  Which of the above seem the most reasonable?

--Dave

Hi Dave,
till now i did nothing toward using private IPs in my home network (some hardware support issues) but,
- your idea about 4 digits code i think it's more reasonable as most of peer to peer apps/devices using it also photo app in the WDTVLiveHub using same technique with it's photo app.
- or update a discovery application on the desktop computers to search for the enabled TV on the network with ability to add the device IP manually if not auto discovered.
- Another suggestion, is it possible to add something like playlist on the youtube! i mean, if i'm online browsing my FB or youtube and found something interesting to watch on my TV why i just can't add it to the queue till i watch it later? also this should be done even if i'm not on my home using same network! so i think in this case there should be a user account must be add to specify where to add this videos (playlist, queue, etc..) this can be option and people who ever happy about no login process can keep use the as it is and other can login and find the rest.
appreciate your work and your understanding for our endless suggestions and problems.
Yasser

idea about 4 digits code i think it's more reasonable as most of peer to peer apps/devices using it also photo app in the WDTVLiveHub using same technique with it's photo app.

The mulitple digit code solution is the best of the worst, but enough people may be used to entering such codes that it wouldn't be confusing for sufficiently-motivated users.

Another suggestion, is it possible to add something like playlist on the youtube! i mean

#1 requested feature has been to add the ability to add flings to favorites. 
#2 requested feature is to add playlist support for youtube and other websites.

Both are coming.

--Dave