Topic: Flingo for Desktop Not Working?

I just installed the Flingo for Desktop software on a Windows XP SP3 system. When I start the software via the "flingo" icon
in the Programs menu, I see a tray icon displayed in the system tray area. I have tried right-clicking, left-clicking and double-clicking on that tray icon, but nothing seems to happen. I was expecting an application to open allowing the user to select files which would be sent to the Flingo queue on my WD Live TV box.

I copied the Flingo bookmark to my Favorites Bar in IE 8 and if I click on that, it brings up a dialog allowing me to send a YouTube video to the WD Live TV box.

How is the Flingo for Desktop software supposed to work?

Thank You.

Re: Flingo for Desktop Not Working?

I will give it a look. I have to reinstall windows in virtual box to test it.  The install I used to build the windows version is corrupted.  Grrr....

Two things:

1) As of this morning, the Windows Flingo client installer in GitHub is a very old version.
2) I compiled the current code for Windows and the executable doesn't work due to the inetfaces dependency that was added back in.  This dependency was eliminated a while back and I suspect it was meant to be left out, but accidently added with a merge.  My branch (https://github.com/AMansfield/Flingo) does work, and I've uploaded the installer for Windows and verified it on Windows XP SP3 (and Vista 32-bit).

The reason for netifaces is that the socket module calls do not return the private IP address in OSX.. without the OSX client flings the loopback interface.  netifaces is a much more robust library for obtaining local IP address.   netifaces should work in Windows.  I know its an additional install, but in OS X it is just a matter of

easy_install netifaces

If socket.gethostbyname works well in Windows then we could add a check for sys.platform and only require netifaces when sys.platform is 'darwin'.

Before I can compile a new windows version, I have to reinstall Windows in Virtual Box.  My VM is corrupted.  Grrr....  AMansfield, at least as a stopgap, could you create a suitable build?  I downloaded your current .exe, but I don't have a suitable environment right now for testing it. 

AMansfield, when you get it to a satisfactory state, tell me, I'll pull your exe from your github, and I'll put on the flingo downloads page.   

--Dave

I just downloaded the program from here:

https://github.com/downloads/AMansfield … flingo.exe

First I uninstalled the prior version and then I ran the version I just downloaded. It still doesn't bring up any screen displays or dialog boxes. The only thing I see is an icon in the Windows XP system tray area. The icon doesn't react to any form of right-click, left-click or double-clicking it. I am assuming the software would normally display something allowing the user to select file(s) to be sent to the Flingo app running on my WD Live TV.

GoodGuy98 wrote:

I just downloaded the program from here:

https://github.com/downloads/AMansfield … flingo.exe

First I uninstalled the prior version and then I ran the version I just downloaded. It still doesn't bring up any screen displays or dialog boxes. The only thing I see is an icon in the Windows XP system tray area. The icon doesn't react to any form of right-click, left-click or double-clicking it. I am assuming the software would normally display something allowing the user to select file(s) to be sent to the Flingo app running on my WD Live TV.

This is very troubling.  My computers aren't very good test beds for these installs since they have so many development tools installed.  I think it might be best if Dave tests this out once he gets a vanilla Win XP image up and running again.

I have a Window install running, but I am unable to reproduce the problem.  Right-click opens a menu.  I can select and fling a file.

I am running a Windows XP Pro SP3 system with all Windows Updates installed. The Flingo icon displays in the System Tray area, but it doesn't seem to react to any type of click that I can tell David. Perhaps it could be related to other software products installed?

I have tried sending a number of videos of different formats to my Vizio TV and I always get "Playback Error".  Is there some way to get more debug information than this?

Just FYI... I have been able to get most of my videos to play!!! I used the video encoding string verbatim as given by AMansfield and it works great!  Thanks again!!!