Topic: Adding Videos to Favorites

When I add a video from a website to my tv's (vizio) queue, is there way to add it to the favorites?

Re: Adding Videos to Favorites

This will be supported in future versions of the UI.

It is temporarily a problem because many of the URLs that are flung are ephemeral... meaning that the web site providing the URLs time them out after a period of time.

For popular sites, we have created a workaround which infers the video URL from the webpage URL.  This requires some custom code for each supported website, but once the code is in place for a website, we could then store the webpage URL or a site-specific video ID as a long-term (non-ephemeral) identifier for the content.  The extension is already supported in Western Digital boxes, but it cannot be fully supported in Vizio TVs without a firmware update.

Vizio has updated their firmware once, but failed to include our update in the push.   I believe this was just an oversight that will be fixed in their next push.

--Dave

Another possible solution is to recognize the difference between ephemeral and non-ephemeral URLs and allow some things to be favorited.  How do you think this would be best be handled?

--Dave

The most straightforward approach is to let a user favorite any video and have the TV widget gracefully handle 404'd links (the latter being an important requirement anyways).  I'm thinking of the Favorites section as Flingo's equivalent to bookmarking, and this is more or less how they work in the browser.  As a user, I'd be much happier with a program that tells me it can't find a favorite video that I'm trying to watch than a program that refuses to let me add it to my favorites because it *maybe* won't be around a month from now.

It might not be an important issue anyways.  I was trying to use the favorites because it took me a lot of effort to get that video to show up in the queue.  As Flingo matures and it gets easier to queue arbitrary videos, I'm more likely to just go back to the website and add it back than mess with favorites.

Also, thank you for the open nature of Flingo.  The desktop client doesn't work for me in linux, but being able to poke around in the source and read the API stuff, I've been able to piece together a solution to stream videos to this tv.  Getting this thing do what I want has been extremely frustrating because everything is so (unnecessarily) locked down, so it is great to finally be able to work around that.

Being able to favorite flings or keep items in the queue are the most requested features.

I will talk to product and see if I can get into the current UI.

It is easier to make flung items favoritable, because making them stick around in the queue changes the way the queue behaves in a number of places in the code both in the backend and in the UI.

I'd second allowing you to keep items in queue.   I've ripped some workout DVD's to a local drive and like being able to stream them to our Vizio.   Flingo is only way I can see to do this at the moment.  I have a Roku that I can do it with by I'd rather have a yahoo widget that can handle the task.   Not a lot of fun having to add them to the queue all the time.

Obviously I'm using the Desktop version and did find one problem with it.  I had ripped the  DVD's to some network attached storage but fling would not play them.   They appeared in the queue but the app just spun it wheel.   I had it mapped as a network drive.  I also experienced the same problem trying to stream from a thumb drive.

The app has promise.   A setting to make you explicitly remove items would be great.   They are gone if you dont finish watching them also.

Thanks!

dave wrote:

Being able to favorite flings or keep items in the queue are the most requested features.

I will talk to product and see if I can get into the current UI.

It is easier to make flung items favoritable, because making them stick around in the queue changes the way the queue behaves in a number of places in the code both in the backend and in the UI.

So it is past mid-2011 and I don't see any way on my WD Live Plus to save a queued item as a favorite (or any sort of save). What has happened? Did this fall off the rails (badly) or am I missing a function in my WD box? After all, I am just trying to add a YouTube vid... seems much less ephemeral than an independent site.

Thanks, I look forward to a reply.

Any update on this feature. Just purchased Vizio internet enabled TV for my business waiting room. I would like company training video  to be able to saved in favorites. Unfortunately they are erased from Queue once played.

Vizio has been really slow on updates.  We have given them at least a half dozen releases that have never been deployed.

On netgear neoTV set-top boxes, our "flingo" app provies the fling queue and has bookmarks as well as history (currently called "all flings" against my objections).

Please contact Vizio and tell them to update their "Web Videos" application.

--Dave

I'd also love to get Favorites to work and if possible have videos stay in queue after playing. 

Do you have an easy way to contact Vizio that would let us tell them we'd like for them to update Web Videos?

xingxang wrote:

I'd also love to get Favorites to work and if possible have videos stay in queue after playing. 

Do you have an easy way to contact Vizio that would let us tell them we'd like for them to update Web Videos?

The best thing to do is to call Vizio customer service and tell them you would like to have their engineers push the latest "Web Videos" app update so you can get those features that the update will allow. The more voices they hear the sooner they will get the push done.

Vizio did promise us another update about two weeks back.   Hopefully it will occur soon.

--Dave

On my WDTV Flingo interface I have a "Favourites" tab. I can add videos I find via the Flingo WDTV app to the favourite tab. This feature does not exist for videos I fling to the Que. Why?

For those with WD, you will soon be able to favorite flung content.

Nothing stands in the way now.

--Dave