Topic: fling from other websites and how

I have tried figuring out how to upload videos to my vizo, but I can only do it with youtube vids. What are the steps to making a video such http://www.videozer.com/video/t8hECT9f to work on a vizo tv. Please give steps on how to go there or even better a vid on the steps to get there would be greatly appreciated and a great way to follow. Thank you

Re: fling from other websites and how

Need access to the MP4 URLs for each video.  Some sites expose these themselves.

--Dave

If some sites like the above doesn't show the mp4 urls then could it still work? There is only the original link and swf link. Is there a mp4 url that can be found or is there other options? Thanks for relpying

Web sites often don't give out MP4 URLs.  Sometimes the MP4 URL appears in the page but requires searching through the DOM.  Other times the MP$ URL doesn't appear because it is not necessary to expose the MP4 URL when using many Flash-based players.  Other times a web site hides the MP4 URL to intentionally make it harder to download a video. 

In the first case, we can probably fling the video without much effort.

In the second case, it may still be able to fling the video by scraping various pages on the web site assuming it doesn't violate the terms of service.

In the last case, reverse engineering the URL is more difficult, probably violates the site's terms of service, and is fragile.  A web site owner need only modify how they generate URLs to break fling.  I prefer to avoid violating terms of service or reverse engineering.

--Dave

Thanks! I think I have just one more question. A url of a MP4 has .mp4 at the end of a url right? Or can you tell me how to figure out if an url is mp4?

URLs with a file path ending with mp4 or m4v are likely MP4 files and may use the H.264 encoding.  Such URLs may play on TVs.   This is not the end of the story though.   The path portion of a URL may have no file extension.  A better way of determining whether a URL refers to an MP4 is to download the associated resource and try to open it with VLC or some other player.  Unfortunately that is quite laborious.  Other processes such as using Charles Web Proxy to identify video transfer connections is getting dangerously close to reverse engineering.

--Dave

So is there a way to fling a link like in the first post?  or does it need to have .mp4 or .m4v in the URL?  Youtube videos don't have that in the url. 

just wondering if there would be ways to fling videos from youtube like sites - like daily motion, videodozer, vidbux, the late megavideo, etc, etc.

So is there a way to fling a link like in the first post?

If someone can provide a function that maps from a web page URL onto an MP4 or M4V URL then I can easily do the rest. Then for that site, the web page URL will be enough.

Any help from the community to create such functions is welcome. 

This all becomes easier when more devices have web browsers.   Then we can just use each site's embedded player.

--Dave