Topic: PC application does not run

I have a WD player and I can fling the bunny using the link you gave me but I cannot get anything else.  I assume that is because I need the desktop application to run.  I get the following error everytime I attempt to run it both in windows 7 and vista.

The log file 'C:\Programfiles (x86)\flingo\flingo.exe.log' could not be opened: [errno 13] Permission denied: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\flingo\\flingo.exe.log'

Re: PC application does not run

The desktop application does not need to run while flinging from websites.  It is needed only when flinging files from the filesystem on your computer.

I cannot get anything else

In what way does flinging from websites fail?
Are you using the fling bookmarklet? 
When you click on the bookmarklet on a youtube video page does it bring up a web page for flinging items?
Does the web page opened from the bookmarklet find your WD player? 
If yes, does clicking on fling put a file in your queue on your WD?
If yes, what happens when you select and play the file?
What browser are you using in what OS?
Provide me with an example URL that fails.

I just installed and executed the latest version on windows 7, and I flung an mp4 file that I then played from the queue.

--Dave

I am using chrome on windows vista in this case.  I guess I do not understand how to use the bookmarklet.  even what this is.  Sorry, just a noob.  I have not tried to fling anything because I did not understand how.  LOL.  So the application itself does not need to be run?

I got it to work in firefox.  I just dont have my bookmark tool bar available in chrome

So I can now get youtube vids no problem.  Is there a way to get hulu, or other sites vids?  If they are not supported urls?

When you were having trouble with Internet Explorer, may I ask what version were you using?

--Dave

The flingo.exe.log error is caused by the py2exe wrapper trying to write a log to the install directory when the exe fails for some reason. It doesn't reveal the reason for the failure.  If you can copy the entire flingo directory from c:\Program Files to a temporary directory not inside c:\Program Files, this would enable py2exe to dump a text file.  Please post the resulting flingo.exe.log file.

dave wrote:

The flingo.exe.log error is caused by the py2exe wrapper trying to write a log to the install directory when the exe fails for some reason. It doesn't reveal the reason for the failure.  If you can copy the entire flingo directory from c:\Program Files to a temporary directory not inside c:\Program Files, this would enable py2exe to dump a text file.  Please post the resulting flingo.exe.log file.

The reason for this is known.  In Vista and Win7, the application doesn't have permission to write to the configuration file (or create and log to the log file on an error for that matter).  I've updated the code so that on Windows, the configuration file will be located in the APPDATA\flingo directory.  I've posted a "beta" build that includes this change.  However, this just brought to my attention another potential problem.  If you encounter some other error, there will continue to be a complaint about the inability to log to the error log...

Simply changing the permissions on the Program Files\flingo folder should fix the log issue or we can think about updating the error log location on Windows...

Last edited by AMansfield (2011-05-03 19:22:29)

I started working on a build over the weekend that uses the registry for storing all configuration information, but I think using APPDATA is fine.  I'll defer to Andrew (AMansfield) on this.

I also added code that shows only mp4 and m4v files in file selector.

I also added mappings in the registry that allows the user to right-click on a file in Windows Explorer and the user sees "fling to TV..."

I started expanding the list of things that really should be done:

• Don't fling things that aren't .mp4 or .m4v files. (done)

• on startup show a dialog that explains that fling goes to the systray.

• "about" page with a version number

• notification of when a new version is available

These are really critical to the experience.

Andrew, would you be willing to pick up some of the other ones?

--Dave