Topic: Crunchroll Not Playing

For the past couple of days, when using my WDTV HD Live device, the Crunchyroll channel on Flingo has been returning "Video Playback Error". After clicking on any episode of any series, a commercial plays then displays the error when it finishes.

Last edited by JackProton (2015-02-16 23:11:32)

Re: Crunchroll Not Playing

Same here. Each and every video on Crunchyroll gives a 'Video playback error', sometimes after the (annoyingly loud) Hulu commercial. Other channels seem to work; Crunchyroll itself is OK, too, as I can watch samples from the CR app on my TV.

Last edited by il Biggo (2015-02-20 10:38:02)

Now Crunchyroll is missing from the flingo launchpad altogether. What is going on?

Crunchyroll may be making changes in their page format. Give it a while to see if they get it ironed out. You may want to ask them what is going on since they have to keep certain codes on their pages to work with the flingo applet.

"Now Crunchyroll is missing from the flingo launchpad altogether. What is going on?"

Yeah my crunchyroll disappear from the launchpad also. I'm going to post this over on crunchyroll to see what they respond.

I've been getting this recently as well, there's a post on the CR forum where they were talking about moving to a html5 based system as they people were complaining about the newer model wdtv interface but this was in 2013.

I've still got my favourites and the info but the hulu advert is getting a bit annoying when you just get the video playback error all the time.

I tried the CR app that someone wrote for the raspberry pi but it needs premium membership to work, not sure if my free membership login is enough.

edit: Just checked the CR forum and assuming it's your thread as the username is the same but it's back on the launchpad (I can't verify it as working as yet as I'm at work) for those not checking and suffering anime withdrawal.

edit: Got home, fired up the wdtv and CR is in the launcher but still getting the Hulu video and or the error message still.

edit: 27-02-2015 - still dead.

edit: 03-03-2015 - still dead and getting sick of that Hulu advert.

Last edited by spikeblack (2015-03-03 10:19:39)

Still no joy - CrunchyRoll videos do not play.

12-03-2015 - nothing here, too. If only they'd turn the volume down on those ads.
I'm watching CR on the iPad, but the app is horribly bugged and half of my shows 'aren't distributed in my region' o_O
Guess my WDTV lives in a different country.

Last edited by il Biggo (2015-03-12 11:33:33)

I thought you'd like to know ITS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!

I turned on my wdtv to test it and got the video playback error, left on the favourites list while I was doing something else and at 12:22am I tried it again and it started playing. I tried few more shows and they all played as well.

Thanks for the update. I was hoping CR would get back on track.

Not tempting fate but I tried again this morning with a different selection of videos and each worked so hopefully I can start to catch up on some shows.

Last edited by spikeblack (2015-03-19 02:40:36)

It's back here in sunny Switzerland too .-D
Having tried various firmware flavors with no success, I was ready to wipe everything (and lose my 12 pages of favorites) T_T
Turns out it was a Flingo issue, not Crunchyroll - lastly, only a couple channels worked, albeit to a limited extent.

Is there a technical explanation? It's not the first time we have trouble with WD+Flingo, so it might be useful to know what to do when this happens again. BECAUSE IT WILL! <DOOOOOM>

il Biggo wrote:

It's back here in sunny Switzerland too .-D
Having tried various firmware flavors with no success, I was ready to wipe everything (and lose my 12 pages of favorites) T_T
Turns out it was a Flingo issue, not Crunchyroll - lastly, only a couple channels worked, albeit to a limited extent.

Is there a technical explanation? It's not the first time we have trouble with WD+Flingo, so it might be useful to know what to do when this happens again. BECAUSE IT WILL! <DOOOOOM>

Just curious, why do you say it was a Flingo problem and not CR?

Because "lastly, only a couple channels worked, albeit to a limited extent." -> ALL channels were having the same issue, not only CR. I focused on the issue with CR because it's the only channel I watch .-D

- It's not a WD problem: everything works apart from Flingo.
- It's not a Crunchyroll problem: all other channels have the same issue. I sampled here and there, and I was able to watch a couple videos in maybe a hundred tries. Checking every single video on every single channel seemed a little too much .-)
- Flingo, otoh, seems perfectly able to send commercials, channel lists and episodes lists.

-> It looks like a communications issue between Flingo and content providers.

EDIT: as the problem is now resolved, this list should be read in the past tense .-)

Last edited by il Biggo (2015-03-20 04:21:41)